Wednesday, 23 September 2009

The Blue 50's


This may have been the the second record I ever bought, from the cheap and cheerful Saga label (probably why I bought it). I love it for Jack Teagarden's 'Davenport Blues' and the two Big Bill Broonzy tracks.

01 Osie's Oasis - Osie Johnston and his orchestra
02 Nuages - Django Reinhardt and the Hot Club Quintet
03 Evil Hearted Me - Josh White
04 Melodie au Crepuscule - Django Reinhardt and the Hot Club Quintet
05 Meet Me Where They Play The Blues - Jack Teagarden and his Orchestra
06 Abstraction - Charlie Mingus - John LaPorta Sextet
07 Baby Please Don't Go - Big Bill Broonzy
08 Davenport Blues - Jack Teagarden and his Orchestra
09 A Letter To My Baby - Big Bill Broonzy
10 Autobarn Blues - Ralph Burns
11 Danse Norvegienne - Django Reinhardt
12 Stormy Weather - Charlie Mingus

Download

Thanks to Muriel for the ripping and scanning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm - this is a suspiciously cool item to be the second record you ever bought. (The second I ever bought was Kylie's Greatest Hits.)
It IS cool though, and thanks for introducing me to Josh White, of whom I have somehow never even heard till now.

Bernie Stocks said...

The first was John Fahey's "The Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death" but that is so cool no-one would believe it. I'm not sure about Josh White - caberet blues anyone?

Anonymous said...

Yes, he doesn't exactly sound convincing laying claim to that evil heart on this track, but his early stuff is a lot better, though it seems a bit hard to find. There's some on an album here:
http://standinatthecrossroads-blackcatbone.blogspot.com/2007/10/josh-white-hard-time-blues-political.html