Its nice to play along with recordings rather than just practising as such. However, in the case of a lot of Irish music, higher and lower pitches occur regularly, usually as a means of putting a bit a variety into things (Eb flutes and concertinas played a tone down are typical of this) . Where a recording is consistently high e.g. Frankie Gavin's first where he is tuned up to 'Eb', it might be worth adjusting tuning for a hour or so, but this isn't on when things jump about a lot.
One such recording is 'Music Of Sligo' by Fred Finn and Peter Horan. Several tracks are up in 'Eb', while one is more or less in 'E' (some mistake here surely - the recording is technically so bad that I suspect that tapes were run at the wrong speed somewhere). However in these digital days it is easy to tweak things a bit (in my case using Sound Studio on a Mac) and make things a bit more consistent.
So here's the whole recording, as if played in concert pitch throughout. The speeds have not been altered.
Download
Sunday, 22 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi, thanks very much for all the great music you've put on this site! any chance of a re-up of Music of Sligo? And/or could you scan/take a photo of the cover and track listing if you have it? Please!
~ Sara
Hi Sara,
No problem, but give me a day or two to hunt this stuff out again.
B
Lovely, thanks! I guess I should clarify as well, the reason I was asking is I have some version of this recording (I think) but the tracks don't seem to match up to the track list on thesession.org of the Comhaltas Archive and there's a couple that definitely don't sound like Horan & Finn, so kinda confused!
~ Sara
Sara,
Set list and new link below. I ripped this off my vinyl copy so its 'correct'. No pitch correction. Hope this helps. I can post scaqns as well if you want, but I'll have to find 'em first.
01 - Duke Of Leinster _ London Lasses
02 - Farewell To Erin _ The Flying Column
03 - The Scotsman Over The Border _ The Tenpenny Bit
04 - The Maid Of Mt Cisco _ The Shaskeen _ The Bag Of Spuds
05 - Fred Finn's Reel
06 - The Ebb Tide _ The Morning Dew
07 - Kitty's Wedding
08 - The Mullingar Races _ The Boys On The Hilltop
09 - Martin Wynne's No 1 _ Martin Wynne's No 2
10 - Michael Reilly's _ The Navy On The Shore
11 - The Killavel Jig
12 - The Boys Of The Lough _ The Devils Of Dublin
13 - The Providence _ The Boys Of Ballinahinch
14 - The Shirt I Left Behind Me _ The Ballymote Polka
15 - The Humours Of Ballyconnell
16 - The Sunny Banks _ The Mountain Top _ The Laurel Bush
http://rapidshare.com/files/444463582/Peter_Horan___Fred_Finn_-_Music_Of_Sligo.zip
scans...
Yay! Thank you so much! I don't know what it was I had before, but this is definitely much better! If you find the covers that'd be great, but no stress. :-)
Sara
Post a Comment